Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World (movie)



Scott Pilgrim happens to be one of my favorite book series, if not my favorite. However, I would have never heard about it if it wasn't for this movie. From the moment I saw the trailer for this, I was like,"I want to see that!". Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it until it was released on DVD. Once I did see it, I couldn't get enough. Recently, however, I bought the full book box set, read them all and then realized how much the movie differed from the books that I almost got mad. So many lost opportunities! Anyway, enough talk, here's Scott Pilgrim VS the World.
Plot Synopsis:
Scott Pilgrim, played by Michael Cera, is a 23 year old man living in Toronto, Canada with his friends Stephen Stills (Mark Webber), Kim Pine (Allison Pill), Young Neil (Johnny Simmons), all of which who are in a band named "Sex Bob-Omb", and his "cool gay roommate" Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin).  At the beginning of the movie, he's dating a high schooler named Knives Chao (Ellen Wong). That is until this mysterious girl with pink hair shows up in his dream and later in a library. We find out this girl is an American named Ramona Flowers, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Scott immediately falls head over heels in love, but quickly finds out she has baggage. By baggage I mean 7 evil exes who will stop at nothing to kill Scott and his future relationship with Ramona. Scott fights for Ramona's love and we meet some interesting characters along the way, like a hipster Indian dude with magic.
Problems/ Complaints:
I love this movie, but there are a few things that bug me. Most of them concern staying faithful to the books. Look, I understand that most movies based on books leave out or change things, but usually not such crucial storypoints. The movie sticks to the plot fairly well, that is until we get to Todd Ingram. The script writers just seemed to think that they could take the reigns and throw the entire original storyline out! They take out the entire affair between Todd and the drummer, almost deleting the existence of the drummer. She was such a cool character too!! She had a BIONIC ARM!!! They also take out Knives father as well, another awesome character. He's basically a ninja! That's not even scratching the surface of things they changed or left out. If you take the movie on its own, it's good, great even. It just gets bad if you compare it.
Final Thoughts:
Even though it has flaws, it's still one of my favorite movies. I think that is a good movie if you want to introduce yourself to the series or just watch a fun movie.
7.5/10
Thanks for reading and come back next week for more!

1 comment:

  1. That's unfortunately a common problem with moviews originating from books. They either change around the entire story of leave out the most essentials! I felt that they did that with The Hunger Games and if I hadn't read The Hunger Games before I would have missed out so many important things or I would haven't grasped certain things that I did in the book!

    I got your link via your friend Emily. Lovely blog!:)

    Florentine @ Readiculously Peachy

    ReplyDelete