Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Les Misérables (2012 Musical Film)





Well, this is one I wanted to do from the start. I just never thought I could do it justice whenever I went to write about it, so I waited for it to be released on DVD. Once it was, I watched it, and then I watched it again, and again. It still stood up, and maybe even improved with each viewing. And now, I know what you're thinking, I'm just going to pat this movie on the back throughout the entire review. Well, maybe.


Plot Synopsis:
Les Mis is the story of Jean Valjean, a man who served 19 years for stealing bread to feed his sisters son. He is finally released after serving his time and learns that he will be on parole for the rest of his life. He has a "badge of shame" on his paper and is unable to find work. He meets a bishop who takes him in and teaches him about Gods forgiveness. He steals the mans silver and gets caught. When he is brought back and the bishop says it was a gift. After this, Vajean accepts the mans gift of Christ and decides to leave his old life behind and become a better man. Years later he is found out by his parole officer Javert and has to flee. At the same time, Valjean meets Fantine, a factory worker turned prostitute to gain money for her daughter who lives with an innkeeper and his wife. Valjean swears to Fantine on her deathbed that he will watch over her child. He meets the innkeeper, named Thenadiér, and pays for her daughter, Cosette. Valjean takes care of her and keeps her safe. A few years later, the Revolution is quickly escalating, and Cosette, now grown up, meets the love of her life Marius. We watch as the revolution toils on!

Problems/ Complaints:
I don't know much about the musical play, as I haven't seen it. I do know, however, many of the songs in this movie had lyrics either removed or changed. Many of the examples I have are minuscule things, like the introduction to "ABC Cafe/ Red and Black" being cut out, even though the special features shows they filmed it. -_- That one in particular annoys me. Also, probably just me, but doesn't Eddie Redmayne look and sound a bit like Kermit the Frog?


Final Thoughts:
Although it missed some details and song lyrics, I personally love the movie! The majority of the actors fit their roles, yes even Russle Crowe, and it was enjoyable to watch!
               9/10 overall!







No comments:

Post a Comment